Thursday, January 19, 2017

Opinion: Things you, as a fan, can do to make this season better

I've sat around the past day or two thinking about some of the little things that you, the ordinary fan, can do this year to help support and grow the sport that we love. We could go around and around about things that are detrimental to short track racing around the country but I would like to be more proactive about things.

Before the races:

This one is huge. Bring a friend with you to the track. Tracks depend on fan turnout in order to operate. I guarantee you there is at least one name in the contacts in your phone that has never been to a race and will have a spare Friday or Saturday this year. Get them to the track, who knows, that may be enough to turn them into a lifelong fan. 

If any of you know me, you know I get to the track early. I like to make my rounds in the RV lot and visit with friends. One of the things I always see a lot of is trash on the ground. Whether its wrappers from the food fans have been grilling, empty beer cans or cigarette butts, there is always a lot of trash. Do whatever track you are at a favor and pick up after yourselves. I always have a roll of trash bags in my vehicle during race season, I tie one to my tailgate almost as soon as I arrive at a track. If you are a smoker, save an empty can or bottle to put your butts in. Before you head into the track or at the end of the night before you head home, tie off your bag and throw it any one of the many trash cans found around the facility. I promise you the track workers tasked with cleaning up the grounds on a Saturday or Sunday morning will appreciate this gesture.

Many of us cannot afford to sponsor a sprint car team but if you feel compelled to help out a team there a number of things you can do. Buy a pit pass for a driver prior to them arriving at the track so they will have that surprise waiting when they do roll in. Bring a case of water for a team during one of those hot summer shows in July or August. The littlest thing can go a long way, particularly for smaller family teams that don't have big money behind them. 

I tape my seats down at big shows at tracks that allow it. That said, if there are only two of you. Don't tape down enough blankets for five people. I see this a lot at the track, particularly during Indiana Sprint Week. Don't be that person. be appreciative. 

Finally, know the rules of the track you are at. I cannot count how many times I have seen fans upset at gates of various tracks because they are not allowed to carry in a cooler full of beer or their large boat seat. There is no reason to be rude to a worker at the gate who is simply enforcing the rules that more times than not they did not make up. We've got the links to every track's website on this blog and we have most rules posted on our various guides. Take a minute and have a look before making a trip to a track and see what is and is not allowed. 

During the races:

I am really bad about this one: watch your language when you are in the stands. Indiana sprint car fans are some of the most passionate fans in the world and we can get excited but not everyone wants to hear it. It is something I am definitely trying to work on. Same goes for drinking, if you are around perhaps a family or kids make sure you are drinking responsibly. 

If you plan on heading down to the pits during the course of the night be appreciative of the teams and drivers. Make sure you are paying attention as there are almost always cars being pushed off, coming off the track, or being pushed to the staging lane. Additionally, I know fans love to be in the pits, particularly when there are big names present such as Tony Stewart, Rico Abreu, Kyle Larson and so on. If you are looking for an autograph most drivers are very gracious after the racing is over but do not bother them while they are working on their car or trying to put tear offs on. You would not want someone constantly bothering you at work so give them the same courtesy. 

As far as racing on the track goes just enjoy the show but do not do anything that may hinder the experience for yourself or others such as standing on the fence when cars are green or trying to get on the loud pedal. This is obviously a major safety concern and some tracks will not throw the green if there are fans right up along the fence.

After the races:

I only have one for after the races but it is by far the most important.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

I get it, it is the best form of racing there is, in the capital of racing itself and we all like to celebrate it with a few cold ones but be smart. I have spent the night sleeping in my truck at tracks all over the state because I knew I was not good to drive. You are better off getting home later than anticipated than ending up in a jail, the hospital or even worse sending someone else to the hospital. 

If you're going to drink at the track get yourself a DD or a cab if possible. If you absolutely have to drive then cut yourself off whether it is after heats, hot laps or earlier. Make sure you're drinking water and you've got some food in your stomach that way by the time the feature is over you're good to make it home safely. The last thing I want to do is get on the internet or on a social media app on my phone and find out someone I know from a track has been injured or worse.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone has a great year at the track and I look forward to reconnecting with old friends in a month or two and making new friends as the season moves along. 

Indiana Sprint Car News

No comments:

Post a Comment